The NPI Grouping functionality allows Portal Admins to define and classify groups of NPIs. They enable several scenarios that simply the end user experience including:
- Identification of your agency’s NPIs
- Grouping competitors with multiple NPIs
- Grouping Physicians that are part of a practice group (future)
Where is it?
In order to create or manage your NPI groupings, you will need to navigate to the correct location in Administrative Tools. See screenshot or follow these steps:
- Click on Admin in the top navigation from any page in the Portal.
- Click on Admin Functions that will appear on the left (not shown in image.)
- Click on Group NPIs.
How to Use
There are two ways to interact with NPI Groups in the Interface:
- Manage Groups - Add, Edit, or Delete an NPI Group
- Manage NPIs within a group - Add items to a group or change items in a group
When you create a new group, you set parameters for what can be included in the group. Then you add items to the group. At this point, you can edit or delete the group, or you can manage the NPI's in a group.
Start by clicking "Add Group" at the top right. This will open the "Add a Group" dialog box (see image"
Bulk upload will be described later.
Name - Use this to identify what will be in the group; for example, Our agencies in Illinois, or Competitors in Chicago Area. If you create numerous groups this will be helpful.
Description - you may add more details, if needed.
Group Type - Two Choices: Competitor or My Agency (Does not limit later selection)
NPI Type - Two Choices: Agency or Physician (Does not limit later selection)
Line(s) of Business - Add Home Health, Hospice, or both. Only lines of business you subscribe to will be visible. (However, your choice does not limit later selection
Market(s) - Select states from which you want to include physicians or agencies. Only states to which your company has subscribed will appear in this interface.
When you have made your selections, click on "Save Changes" to create the group.
In the fields: Group Type, NPI Type, Line(s) of Business, and Market(s), any choice you make is an identifier. When you add NPIs to your group, you can still add any physician or organization to which you have access from either line of business or any state.
Once you have created a group, you can edit the group parameters by clicking on the name, or delete the group by clicking on delete in the same row.
1) Once you have created a group, or to change the entries in a group, click the "Manage NPIs" button in the same row.
The following dialog box will appear:
2) Click on the "Add NPIs" button to add NPIs to the group. (Image below)
3) Enter a search parameter. (Image above.)
Some notes on searches:
- The entries in the searchable data set include all physicians and all facilities in the database to which you have access. You can search every organization and physician in the CMS database.
- Any word you enter will produce returns from the following fields: NPI, Name, County, City, or ZIP code. For example, in the screenshot above we were looking for Abington Hospital and found an Abington facility and physicians in Abington.
- The search shows 20 entries.
If you intend to use the "Add NPIs" tool, it is a good idea to have a list of specific NPIs ready to put into the search. Having another tab open in your browser with your favorite facilities showing, for example, will make it easy to cut and paste.
4) When you see the entry you want to add to your group, click on it and it will be move to the right side:
5) Click on "Save Changes" to save your selection(s) to your group
The selected entry is now visible in the Group Edit dialog box.
Once an NPI is added to your selected group, you can delete any NPI by clicking on the "Delete" button on the right side of the entry.
Bulk upload is the preferred method for uploading NPIs when you have a large volume of NPIs to add and when you know what those NPIs are. You will find this tool to be useful when doing your initial NPI group set up.
When you click on the "Bulk Import NPI Group" button the following dialog box pops up:
There are four choices:
- "?" Start here - help - The question mark opens the following page of important instructions and downloads. You must download and use one of these files in order to have the correct groupID number for the group you have created.
- Select File - Clicking this button opens a standard file navigation window where you can select a completed .CSV or .XLSX file for upload.
- Import File - once a file is selected, click this button to complete the upload.
- Cancel - this will close the bulk upload tool without completing an upload
Bulk Upload File
The Excel Template (groupNPIsample.XLSX) or the CSV Template (groupNPISample.csv) will open in Microsoft Excel. It looks like this:
Steps for use:
- The group id is the number assigned automatically for the NPI group when you created it. You will need to put this Group ID in each row for each NPI you include.
This number can be found by clicking on the name of the group and seeing the Group ID number that was assigned when the group was created. (See Screenshot)
- The npi column will include all NPIs that you want to add to the group.
- Save the file - use save as and save the file so that you can easily identify it when you use "Select File" in the Bulk Upload of NPI Groups tool.
Each row of the file you create must have the correct Group ID number and an NPI.